[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Help [problem DL'ing tuxmath/tuxtype]

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 21:52:05 UTC 2010

Hi Matt (and Bill),

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:09:08PM -0400, MATT CARLSON wrote:
>>  Hello,
>> I have a small problem maybe you could help, everytime I try to download
>> tux math command and tux typing it sends me to a download site that says
>> "This Connection is Untrusted"
>> I am using windows
>> Thank you
>> Matt

This issue has existed for years.

Our download site is on Alioth, which is run by the Debian Project and
is completely upstanding and reputable.  The problem is that Alioth
uses SSL certificates that are not signed by a widely-recognized
certificate provider, which causes browsers to generate
frightening-sounding warnings.  All this means is that there is no
third party that is attesting that you are really connected to our
download site.  So, you basically just have to take my word for it
that the download page really is our site, and I can assure that it is
(and that our Windows builds are free of malware).  Of course, you can
run virus-checkers and so forth on our packages if you are really
security-conscious.

For things like online banking, a valid SSL cert is obviously
critical, but I've never quite understood why our package downloads
have to go through https:// rather than plain old http://.

I've filed a bug report about this with the Alioth admins, but they
don't seem to be very motivated to do anything about it.

Sincerely,

David Bruce