[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] Similarity in code of Tuxmath/Tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu May 27 12:42:59 UTC 2010

Hi Vikas,

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Vikas Singh <vikassingh008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have read only tuxmath code and not very familiar with tuxtype code.
> I want to know if file operations code for tuxmath and tuxtype same/related
> or not ?
> If yes, is that same/related code included in libt4k-common library?

At one point tuxmath didn't read or write anything to disk at all,
apart from loading program data at start-up.  We subsequently pulled
in some of the code from tuxtype (which was more developed at the
time) and worked on it and enhanced it a lot.  Now, tuxmath's code is
in a lot better shape.

The plan with libt4k-common is to further clean it up, and then "port"
both tuxmath and tuxtype to use the new library rather than the old
functions.  libt4k-common is much closer to tuxmath than to tuxtype.

> If yes again, then since my code also involves file operations code, so
> will that lead to collision or any kind of issue because I will be coding in
> tuxmath/tuxtype?

Yes, there certainly is some potential for conflicts.  My thought
would be for you to work on tuxmath in its current architecture (i.e.
without libt4k-common), and have Brendan and me try to keep those
changes synced with the work on t4k-common.

David