[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxMath repo opened at GitHub

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 03:43:59 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

Aviral is quite strongly convinced that github offers significant
advantages over our current Alioth hosting, and has taken the
initiative to set up a project there for tuxmath.  He has opened a
bug/issue tracker for us to try out:

https://github.com/aviraldg/tuxmath/issues

I'm all for investigating various options, and github does seem to be
quite nice.  However, Alioth also has a bug tracker that we have
simply never used, and SourceForge (where we still have a valid
account) also offers quite comprehensive OSS hosting services.  I'm
not yet convinced that a "change of venue", so to speak, will in
itself make a lasting difference in Tux4Kids' productivity.

So, I would encourage everyone to check out github, but don't get the
idea that there has been any decision to abandon Alioth.

Keep in mind that it has taken ~2-3 years to get Google searches for
tuxmath and tuxtype to reliably direct people to our current Alioth
site.  If we should decide to move, we can't exactly take
"http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org" with us, although I suspect we
could simply forward it.  For me to want to change our hosting, I'd
need convincing evidence that it would offer substantial advantages
beyond what we would gain by simply making full use of the resources
at Alioth.

Best,

David