[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Download site is untrusted

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:15:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

Alioth uses self-signed security certificates, so you get these
scary-sounding warnings.  The Alioth admins have been aware of the
situation for some time, and eventually it may get fixed, but Alioth
is a completely unpaid volunteer operation.  I can assure you that
these really are our authentic packages (which is most of what the SSL
certs would tell you - the browser warnings don't involve a check for
viruses or malware).

In the meantime, you can either:
1. Trust us and download from Alioth despite the warnings (you would
have to trust in any event that we are honest folks who haven't put
anything evil into our official packages).

or

2. Go to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net) where the identical
packages are available for download.  Unlike Alioth, SourceForge is
run by a real company that has a budget for things like paid-for
third-party SSL certificates, so you won't get these warnings there.
Just search for "tuxmath" or "tuxtype" on the SourceForge site.  Note
that sometimes I don't get the SF.net sites updated for a while after
a new release, but at the moment both tuxmath and tuxtype are current.

I really wish this problem would go away.  This is probably the 20th
"tuxmath is infected!!!!!!" mail I have gotten due to this ssl thing.

Hope that helps,

David Bruce