[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing Windows development

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:35:24 UTC 2011

Hi Amos,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Amos Batto <amosbatto at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I also would be interested in learning how to compile TuxType and TuxMath
> for Windows. For Linux it is easy, but I can't figure it out for Windows. I
> tried cross compiling in Linux for both platforms as outlined in the readme
> for older versions of TuxType, but I couldn't get it to work with version
> 1.8. I will try again this weekend.

Starting with 1.8, the crossbuild is based on using mingw-cross-env (
http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org).  The great thing about mingw-cross-env
is that the whole crossbuild environment gets set up automatically with a
makefile-based system.  If you install it at /opt/mingw-cross-env, the
scripts I've included in the tuxtype git repository should work without
modification.

Tuxmath is a little harder for the moment because we use our t4k_common
library, which isn't yet in the default mingw-cross-env collection.  The
mingw-cross-env maintainer has told me he would be happy to include
t4k_common once we think it is "ready" enough.

I'd really be interested in any feedback about developers' experiences with
the mingw-cross-env-based crossbuild, because I want to get it to the point
where it is extremely simple, automated, and "just works".

David Bruce