[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSOC project: LAN Multiplayer Mode Idea

Himanshu Gupta himanshu.csiitd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:47:13 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am a Second Year undergraduate student at the Indian Institute of
Technology, Delhi majoring in Computer Science and Engineering. I went
through the Tux4Kids GSOC project ideas page and am particularly interested
in the ideas related to collaborative network and multiplayer LAN mode for
TuxPaint and TuxType.

With regard to TuxType , I have an idea of using a racing game with the
speed of typing used to simulate the speed of the car in my mind. This can
be played over the network too to allow multiple kids to compete against
one another.

For TuxPaint, I am interested in working on the idea of multiple users
being able to edit the same image over the network simultaneously (with
required locking). I feel an additional functionality of using an earlier
image from disc ( or capturing an image at that time itself ,say via a web
camera) and sending it across the network to all the users to edit in
TuxPaint simultaneously will be quite fun and interesting.

I have downloaded the source from the git repository and built
TuxType.Currently, I am going through the code and wished to ask what will
be a good starting point for it?

Also, I would like to add that I am highly experienced in C programming,
having developed projects including a multiplayer LAN game (carrom) and a
workflow based room-booking system.

Thanx,

Himanshu Gupta,
B.Tech (Computer Science & Enginnering)