[Babel-users] Ready for 1.8.0?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:09:16 UTC 2016

A) I take it that "diversity routing" now matches the draft but does
not use the right stuff to get the channel(s)?

/me hides. I know, patches gladly accepted, (but ooh, have we made
some progress on bufferbloat in wifi lately)

B) I have been staring at a puzzling thing for the last few days
without time to look at it harder.

my gateway (routerA) is a source specific babel, without a version
number but from an openwrt build about 2 months back. RouterB is a
cerowrt box.

I just updated everything ELSE to your latest commit. On an x86 box I
am  seeing all but a default ipv6 route supplied by babel. Could be a
config error on my part...

But: On a brand new raspberry pi3 (kernel 4.1.19-v7), same wire, I
guess it is either not compiled with IPV6_SUBTREES or the
autodetection is broken because I don't get "default from" routes, but
the routes inserted in the "ip -6 rules" table.

So, to the weird part. A path that is
routerA <-ethernet-> rpi3 <-usbwifi-> routerB

routerB does not get the "default from" routes.

C) Having more fun with kernel versions and a ton o new, cheap hardware:

an odroid c1, kernel 3.10.80 does not create the rules tables nor
default from. I honestly don't know what mainline kernel was "good"
for source specific routing... odroid c2 (64 bit arms, 50 bucks!),
which (sadly) ships with 3.14.29 - I get no default from or rules
table either.

Grump. Whose job is it to convince everybody to compile in this functionality?

D) There is perhaps something you can do about valid_lft vs preferred_lft?

Boy, can a machine get a lot of ipv6 addresses, seemingly 6 in my
installation. BUT! two have a preferred_lft of 0sec.

ex:

    inet6 2601:645:4103:56c0:31c4:ae34:38b9:d758/64 scope global
temporary deprecated dynamic
       valid_lft 248076sec preferred_lft 0sec

All 6 IPs are exported via babel, and I assume that once 248076
seconds expire, babel will withdraw the route. For some reason, with 4
other IPs available, I wouldn't mind if it exported the "best" ones
out of each /64 somehow.

/me ducks

E) commit 8f422e0ebc2d3a0bf556611133a96b5e0a16bdb2 looks
"interesting"... what problems did it induce?
https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi