[Babel-users] Ready for 1.8.0?

Matthieu Boutier boutier at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu Mar 24 08:16:04 UTC 2016

> my gateway (routerA) is a source specific babel, without a version
> number but from an openwrt build about 2 months back. RouterB is a
> cerowrt box.

On routerA:

1. How did you redistribute source-specific routes
2. Did you see them exported in babeld ?

> But: On a brand new raspberry pi3 (kernel 4.1.19-v7), same wire, I
> guess it is either not compiled with IPV6_SUBTREES or the
> autodetection is broken because I don't get "default from" routes, but
> the routes inserted in the "ip -6 rules" table.

Look at kernel_older_than in kernel.c, and test this function on your system.
(You may also want to see kernel_has_ipv6_subtrees in kernel_netlink.c)

> So, to the weird part. A path that is
> routerA <-ethernet-> rpi3 <-usbwifi-> routerB
>
> routerB does not get the "default from" routes.

Aren't they even sent on the link ? (tcpdump from rpi)

> an odroid c1, kernel 3.10.80 does not create the rules tables nor
> default from.

Are you able to create them manually ?

sudo ip -6 rule add from 2001:bd8::/48 prio 42 table 20
ip -6 rule show
sudo ip -6 rule del prio 42

> I honestly don't know what mainline kernel was "good"
> for source specific routing

It should be good with any (linux) kernel.  (I would be surprised if you have no support for traffic engineering rules.)

Matthieu