[Debian-zh-dev] New Mandarin localization contributor

Ke Zhang ke at kezh.org
Mon Apr 15 01:09:43 BST 2024

Hi Boyuan,

Thanks for your reply, they are very helpful!

On 2024-04-14 17:57, Boyuan Yang wrote:

> The first thing to do is to find out the motion behind your
> translation.
> For Debian Policy, no official translation exist other than the
> Japanese
> version [1]. This is partly because that Debian Policy is only intended
> to be read by people who work closely in Debian, and those people will
> often choose to read the official English Policy text instead of any
> translation.

I was asked to review the policy text because there is already an
existing draft, but the translator is non-responsive.

https://salsa.debian.org/dbnpolicy/policy-l10n-merge-requests-here/-/merge_requests/1

I thought it would be helpful to those who are new to the project who
might like to read both the English text and the Mandarin side by side.
The kind of writing in policy is close to analytic philosophy writing,
so I think if anyone were to do it, I could do a good job.

> Also, no one is assigned to review your work on Debian Policy since no
> one is working on such Simplified Chinese translation. You may want to
> send another email here after your translation is partly done to
> collect
> comments from the audience, but no one is obliged to do a formal review
> on the translated texts.

Great! Will do.

> If you intention is not about translating Debian Policy but solely to
> contribute to some translation work in Debian, there are many more
> translation tasks that translates user-facing Debian texts, and they
> needs more help other than Debian Policy. Examples are the debian-
> handbook [5], Debian Installer [6], Debexpo [7], Debian website [8],
> Debian package description [9] and so on. You may not even focus on
> Debian itself; any software provided by Debian (such as GNOME, KDE,
> Cinnamon, etc.) will need help on translation, and translation in those
> upstream project will eventually be incorporated into Debian when an
> upstream. See [10].

Thank you for these links. I'll come back to them once I'm done with
policy.

Best,
Ke