[Debian-ha-maintainers] fence-agents_4.14.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Thorsten Alteholz debian at alteholz.de
Sun Apr 28 10:17:15 BST 2024

Hi Valentin,

thanks for the pointer to the email.

On 27.04.24 21:00, Valentin Vidic wrote:
> The change is described here:
>
>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2024/04/msg00235.html
>
> but basically these small packages allow users to install only the
> agent (and deps) they need for their cluster/hardware, rather than
> pulling in everything.

But all those small packages depend on fence-agents-common, which is
almost the biggest fence package. So the gain from not pulling in
everything is not that great.
The size of the former fence-agents package is less than 1MB (installed
size!), so where do you see any benefit?
Quite the contrary, all those tiny packages bloat the Packages file and
all users have to suffer from longer downloads and processing time
during each update. That is why the rust team introduced the debcargo
collapse_features and the node team embeds tiny packages in others.
If this is just about fancy package names for an agent, you could use
Provides:. In this case you even save the trouble of another round
through NEW in case new agents appear.

So yes, I have concerns regarding this change.
Thorsten