[Debian-handbook-translators] Questions about translations using Weblate

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Tue Jul 31 06:21:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Claudio Filho wrote:
> 2012/7/30 Éverton Arruda <root at earruda.eti.br>:
> > My questions are:
> > Is it necessary for someone to be in the translators list in order to have
> > his translations accepted?

>From a technical point of view, no. From a practical point of view, I
believe that someone should not start contributing before having
read the translation team rules... and thus they should be listed
in the README file.

> In other hand, looking the registration page, haven't any "legal
> advise" about the quality and license of this contribution. Is not an
> important point to see? I understand that is not dificult resolve this
> question only changing
> from
> "By registering you agree to use your name and email in Git commits."
> "By registering you agree to use your name and email in Git commits,
> and your contribution licensed under same license of Debian Handbook".
> (or some thing like this).

This looks like a good idea. Michal?

But even if this is not implemented, I will continue to assume that the
translations are provided under the same license. Because without this,
they would not even have the right to do the translation... we're using
copyleft licenses for a reason.

> > If so, can we add new translators in the README file and push it?

Yes, you can.

> This question is because many people from our l10n list are
> contributing, and the translation is very fast. At this point, i also
> haven't idea if Weblate have some feature to track the contributions.

Weblate commits translations under the identity of the translator. And
I intend to preserve this as much as possible when squashing translations
from weblate's git repository to the official git repository.

> And adding more one question:
> Is possible to lock a subproject after a revision? I explain my POV. A
> guy did the translation of a chapter and other did the revision. Is
> possible to lock the subproject allowing only suggestions?

I have a button to lock a translation. I don't know whether we can
delegate that right to specific users for each language. Michal?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/