'No Carrier' on minicom

manish jain emmjanex@hotmail.com
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:21:36 +0000

Hello,

I am trying to use minicom 1.83 on RedHat Linux 7.2 (2.4.7) on a system with
an
internal Conexant-based modem, a driver for which is luckily available. The
modem connects to the internet well enough via rp3, but this means I always
have to start the X-server for connecting to the net. I have tried to
connect
at the console using minicom. Minicom sets up the serial port /dev/modem
quite
nicely after installation of the driver and is able to dial out via the ATDT
command, the manual mode as well the dialling directory with the sample
unixlogin script. But a few seconds after the connection is made, minicom
displays a few dozen wierd characters and then gives the message 'No
Carrier',
after which the connection goes dead. Even during those few seconds, no
internet activity is actually possible. Notably, even when I use the sample
runscript at the dialling directory, my ISP prompts me a second time for my
username and password even though these should already have been passed in
as
$LOGIN and $PASSWORD listed in the directory entry.

I'll be glad if someone could help me out with my minicom configuration so
that
I can connect to the net without having to start the X-server.

Thank you.
Manish Jain
emmjanex@hotmail.com

Feeling like a vacation? Then you are in the right place.
http://www.msn.co.in/Travel/ Get the best travel deals here!