'No Carrier' on minicom

Adam Lackorzynski adam@os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:17:13 +0100

Hi,

On Sun Jan 11, 2004 at 18:21:36 +0000, manish jain wrote:
> I am trying to use minicom 1.83 on RedHat Linux 7.2 (2.4.7) on a system
> with an
> internal Conexant-based modem, a driver for which is luckily available. The
> modem connects to the internet well enough via rp3, but this means I always
> have to start the X-server for connecting to the net. I have tried to

If I understand google correctly, rp3 is some sort of dialing front end,
using ppp. Something like "ifup ppp0" and "ifdown ppp0" should work from
the command line.

> connect
> at the console using minicom. Minicom sets up the serial port /dev/modem
> quite
> nicely after installation of the driver and is able to dial out via the ATDT
> command, the manual mode as well the dialling directory with the sample
> unixlogin script. But a few seconds after the connection is made, minicom
> displays a few dozen wierd characters and then gives the message 'No
> Carrier',
> after which the connection goes dead. Even during those few seconds, no
> internet activity is actually possible. Notably, even when I use the sample
> runscript at the dialling directory, my ISP prompts me a second time for my
> username and password even though these should already have been passed in
> as
> $LOGIN and $PASSWORD listed in the directory entry.

Minicom has to be configured properly, right, but it can't give you an
internet connection like ppp does. With minicom you can connect to
remote hosts via serial line/modem but it does not do ppp for you (which
you need).

Adam
--
Adam                 adam@os.inf.tu-dresden.de