[Nut-upsdev] APC USB UPS vs FreeBSD 6.x

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Jun 2 18:19:14 UTC 2009

Citeren Daniel O'Connor <doconnor op gsoft.com.au>:

>> It is tempting to base this on the size of the field that is
>> reported, but it would require a major amount of work on the base
>> usbhid-ups driver, since we only pass the parameters by value and not
>> by the full HID path information. Not that it isn't doable, but it
>> takes much more work than I'm prepared to spend on a vendor that
>> isn't really supportive with NUT.
> Fair enough.

On top of this, APC is at the moment the only vendor for which we have
'battery.date' and 'battery.mfr.date' variables. This makes decoding
these values even more difficult, since if we don't exactly understand
what is meant, we cannot fallback to a device for which we have
information from the vendor to give us a clue what is going on.

Currently I really doubt that having a static 'battery.date' and
static 'battery.mfr.date' field is what was intended by APC. I don't
think they are using intelligent batteries (the ones I've seen so far
at least weren't), so I suspect that it should be possible to update
these fields when the battery is replaced. But how?

Because of the above I have my doubts if it is useful to use the HID paths

     UPS.Battery.APCBattReplaceDate
     UPS.PowerSummary.APCBattReplaceDate

at all (and therefor, if we should display either fields in this
case). On the other hand, the (serial) Smart-UPS protocol allows to
store this value in the EEPROM of the device, so it probably *is*
possible (but not through the usbhid-ups driver right now in NUT).

Please keep list traffic on the list