[Nut-upsdev] APC USB UPS vs FreeBSD 6.x

George Ross gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 08:54:45 UTC 2009

> Currently I really doubt that having a static 'battery.date' and
> static 'battery.mfr.date' field is what was intended by APC. I don't
> think they are using intelligent batteries (the ones I've seen so far
> at least weren't), so I suspect that it should be possible to update
> these fields when the battery is replaced. But how?

The protocol page at http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/apcsmart.html
just says under 'x' that it's a "Writable variable" and "This holds whatever
the user sets in it, much like the UPS local id variable".  The SmartSlot
management card also has a menu entry to set the battery date.

Having said that, we have never bothered setting the date when we have
changed batteries.

--
Dr George D M Ross, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
        10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 9AB

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.