[Nut-upsdev] [nut] High level C and C++ libnutclient (#2)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:59:26 UTC 2012

2012/10/26 Emilien Kia <kiae.dev at gmail.com>

> Hi all,

Hi Emilien,

> >> In my mind, this is the biggest roadblock to merging. Developers need to
> >> know that this library exists (News section of website, etc.) and need
> >> know why they might want this over the existing C API. Then, they need
> >> know how to use it. Much of the benefit of a wrapper library evaporates
> if a
> >> developer has to basically read through the code to understand how to
> use
> >> it.
>
> I have commited a little description of the new libnutclient with a
> little code sample.

great, thanks!

I continue to think that manpages are not adapted to C++ documentation
> and javadoc/doxygen-like is more adapted.

so we continue to be on the same page ;)
iirc, I only mentioned manpages for the C interface, not the C++ one (maybe
just over a coffee...)

> I will look at doxygen documentation generation when trunk will have
> documentated code (and libnutclient have).

imho, this is a chicken-n-egg issue.
as for unit tests, the best is probably to have something showcased on a
branch, then merge that in the trunk and generalize to the whole tree...
and libnutclient would be a good opportunity ;)

I'd be happy to help on this topic too...
I know Charles is also interested in, but he's already quite busy with git,
apcupsd-ups and real-life.
so he may just comment and give some thoughts.

cheers,
Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org
Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.fr