[Nut-upsdev] release?

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 16:50:48 BST 2023

Seconding ...  or firsting, considering the recent call to testing hidden
somewhere in a recent mail post ;) Currently I'm aiming at cutting a NUT
2.8.1 release during October.

As a bit of self-imposed retrospective:

I did hope for a faster (quarterly or so) cadence when I made the 2.8.0
release, but then a few issues came up as regressions of 2.8.0 and it
became a sort of crusade to fix them all before 2.8.1. Perhaps it was a
flawed decision (I can now see the benefits of issuing releases so
packaging can include the fixes as soon as serious flaws are discovered and
addressed).

Another big wad of work (which is not necessarily a release blocker, but
happened to act as such) is an update of HCL (in NUT main sources) and DDL
(another repo). In particular, it felt important (maybe indeed wrong in
practice, especially in hind-sight) to have each release include the
reports of devices supported by it (or at least by the earlier codebase).
Many confirmations come from the current master branch state of that day,
so it is part of NUT support for the snapshot release.

For now, myself and various GitHub issue-posters happen to be practically
going over different build scenarios to find recipe flaws and avoidable
warnings (especially with new compiler releases) that could compromise the
actual or perceived quality of the next NUT release. One puzzling case at
the moment is a failed `make distcheck` that I can't reproduce anywhere,
which involves apparent lack of man page source files in the build area -
which I can't make happen even on a minimally installed container. FWIW =>
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/2081

Some other issues remain marked in the 2.8.1 milestone, some recently
addressed, others pushed to later releases, most of the remainder being
about HCL/DDL updates.

A couple of driver contributions are actively brewing (including
long-awaited APC-ModBus support), so I'm looking out for the opportunity to
merge them too, so the upcoming release lets the greater public see them
and report back...

Jim