[Nut-upsdev] APC Modbus support is finally here!

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 00:08:59 BST 2023

Hello fellow NUTs :)

  It is my great pleasure to get a bit of sunshine from other people's
work, and announce that the initial pull request for `apc_modbus` NUT
driver has recently been merged to the main NUT codebase, so it would be
part of an eventual 2.8.1 release. Great thanks go to Axel Gembe for the
implementation, and to numerous community members for testing as well as
their bug-fix and feature suggestions. It is my understanding that some
thanks also goes to the apcupsd project that served as inspiration for data
points that we can collect from the devices, as well as for its unfortunate
development inactivity that convinced someone to step up and implement a
native NUT driver for the "new" APC devices (~2010+) which all but
deprecated USB HID support. Really, this feature was very long awaited!

  At the moment the driver is "read-only", with commands and variables to
be implemented later (hopefully some coming before 2.8.1 cut-off point). It
can be used with the already published and packaged libmodbus versions for
Serial-port and TCP support (with add-in network management cards). However
please note that USB support is not currently part of the upstream library,
but rather is provided by a fork (PR pending). It is not certain
whether/when exactly such a feature will appear in the upstream library
project - it does not seem very actively maintained at the moment :\

  For more details please see
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/2063 and
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issue/139.

Jim Klimov