[Nut-upsuser] Recommended UPS to buy for use with NUT?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Jun 3 17:06:00 UTC 2006

Clay Barnes wrote:

> I am running a home box (600watt total load, may expand to 800-900) and
> I need a UPS that can sustain power to that for at least 20 min, but
> I want as much time as I can get.

Is that rated load, or actual load? That seems like an awful lot of
power for a single system. And unless you've a very complicated shutdown
procedure, 20 minutes looks like a very long runtime. If you need that
much runtime, consider if you're not better served by a smaller (in
terms of runtime) capacity UPS backed by a petrol (or diesel) generator
(which will give you hours/days/weeks of runtime, depending on the
amount of fuel in the tank).

[...]

> Generally speaking, what mfrs. and models are very well supported?

The website has a nice section on that

	http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/

It badly needs updating, but if your UPS is listed there, it is
supported by NUT (check the driver documentation for the level of
support). If you want optimum support, MGE seems to be a good choice
however, since they officially support NUT (through Arnaud Quette).

> Which should I avoid at all costs?

The ones not listed in above mentioned lists.

Regards, Arjen