[Nut-upsuser] Recommended UPS to buy for use with NUT?

Clay Barnes clay.barnes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 03:24:59 UTC 2006

On 19:06 Sat 03 Jun     , Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Clay Barnes wrote:
>
> > I am running a home box (600watt total load, may expand to 800-900) and
> > I need a UPS that can sustain power to that for at least 20 min, but
> > I want as much time as I can get.
>
> Is that rated load, or actual load? That seems like an awful lot of
Hm...  It's the max draw of my combined tower, screen, scanner and
printer (it's not laser, I know not to do *that*).  I want to be able to
use all of them for a short time after a power failure.
> power for a single system. And unless you've a very complicated shutdown
> procedure, 20 minutes looks like a very long runtime. If you need that
I wanted time enough to save what I'm doing, tweak my current documents,
etc. and print a substantial document and be able to shut down cleanly.
I live in a craphole apt. and I often have time critical (school)
assignments.  To do.
> much runtime, consider if you're not better served by a smaller (in
> terms of runtime) capacity UPS backed by a petrol (or diesel) generator
> (which will give you hours/days/weeks of runtime, depending on the
> amount of fuel in the tank).
Hm.  Good idea, but I don't have close to the money for that. :-/

> [...]
>
> > Generally speaking, what mfrs. and models are very well supported?
>
> The website has a nice section on that
>
> 	http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/
>
> It badly needs updating, but if your UPS is listed there, it is
Yeah, I got the impression from the list that this was the case with the
site.
> supported by NUT (check the driver documentation for the level of
> support). If you want optimum support, MGE seems to be a good choice
> however, since they officially support NUT (through Arnaud Quette).
Well, I got all impulsive and bought an APC XS1500, since I have a
friend who has an employee discount that should be gone (but isn't yet)
which got me it for a solid 45% off.  I hope it wasn't a bad call

> > Which should I avoid at all costs?
>
> The ones not listed in above mentioned lists.
>
> Regards, Arjen
Thanks!

--Clay