[Nut-upsuser] Apple Mac slave

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Jun 8 09:30:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

>       Out of curiosity, when you shut down the NAS, do you run the
>       command "upsdrvctl shutdown" ?  Do you see or hear anything to
>       suggest that the delayed UPS shutdown has happened?
>
> I don’t know where to search to answer this. The delayed UPS shutdown
> means that Synology NAS will turn off the UPS after the delay?

Yes, See the User Manual http://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.pdf
chapter 6.3 "Configuring automatic shutdowns for low battery events".

> ups.delay.shutdown Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command
> (seconds).
> Shutdown of what?  I don’t know what is means.

The NUT documentation is not always clear, and it looks as if the Synology
is even less clear.  You must distinguish carefully between "system
shutdown" and "(delayed) UPS shutdown".  The UPS is turned off _after_ the
system.  There is a delay between the moment the upsdrvctl shutdown
command is given and the moment the UPS shuts down.  The default is 20
seconds, but you may have to increase this.

> The commando upsrw cannot be found on the Synology NAS?

I understand from
https://tellini.info/2014/09/connecting-a-synology-diskstation-to-a-nut-server/
that the NUT configuration is hard coded into the NAS, and I suspect that
the configuration is more or less broken.

You will need the utility programs upsrw and upscom which are part of NUT,
but they should be available in the Mac.

Roger