[Nut-upsuser] Apple Mac slave

Robbie van der Walle rvanderwalle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 13:14:55 UTC 2017

> Yes, See the User Manual http://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.pdf chapter 6.3 "Configuring automatic shutdowns for low battery events”.

> The NUT documentation is not always clear, and it looks as if the Synology is even less clear.  You must distinguish carefully between "system shutdown" and "(delayed) UPS shutdown".  The UPS is turned off _after_ the system.  There is a delay between the moment the upsdrvctl shutdown command is given and the moment the UPS shuts down.  The default is 20 seconds, but you may have to increase this.

I have read 6.3. I don’t see the delayed shutdown here, more about low battery events

What I notice in the upsmon.conf on the Mac which is the slave:

POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower

I don’t think this is necessary?

When I start on the Mac : sudo upsmon -D

I can see:

sudo upsmon -D
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.7.4
kill: No such process
   0.000000	UPS: ups@<ip address> (slave) (power value 1)
   0.000791	Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
   0.001240	debug level is '1'
   0.013266	Trying to connect to UPS [ups@<ip address>]
   0.014898	Logged into UPS ups@<ip address>

There is also a message:

kill: no such process. what does it mean?

Also I changed on the Mac, upsmon.conf :

SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0” which was before SHUTDOWNCMD ""

SHUTDOWNCMD “” Didn’t make sense to me.

> You will need the utility programs upsrw and upscom which are part of NUT, but they should be available in the Mac.

upsrw is available on the Mac:

upsrw -s battery.charge.low=80 -u upsmaster -s sekret UPS

I suppose I have to use -u for user? Which user? and -p  for password?
What does -s sekret UPS means? -s means variable to be changed but I don’t know which variable this is, sekret.

Kind regards,

Rob