[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower CP625HGa shuts down 3 watt load in 2 minutes

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Aug 17 13:42:13 BST 2021

On Tuesday 17 August 2021 05:48:06 Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> On 8/17/21 5:30 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greeting Roger;
> >
> > And the battery is still at 98%. The load is a 5 watt supply running
> > an r-pi-4 with a mesa 7i90 interface card.
> >
> > How can one change that, it ought to run that 3 watt load for hours.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> test the battery outside the UPS. it could be an old enough battery
> unable to really retain energy. It reports a voltage high enough to
> make a voltmeter believe it is charged but in fact it does not hold
> the charge.

Which may explain why tiger-direct had them so cheap, $39.95 a year ago.
I don't even know whats in it for a battery, I'd assume a single 12 volt
gel cell. It shows at 14.5 volts, and thats high enough it will wreck a
gel cell in 90 days, making it pressure up and vent till the gel is
waterless. Probably designed by some kid fresh out of school who knows
nothing about the care and feeding of a Pb battery. I've been there,
done that, made a pair of large car batteries last 7 years and still
turning a 335 cumalong standby wrong side out starting it, firing on the
first cylinder to hit tdc and making its full 150 kw power at 60 hz 2
seconds later. Keep em clean, turn the trickle charger down to around 6
ma to stop ALL the gassing. Did not have to add any water in that 7
years, the trickle combined with a weekly 15 minute run, kept them at
1.275 sg which is somewhat of an overharge, 1.265 would have been even
better.

Its own alternator was 100x harder on those batteries than the trickler,
but it had a high negative tempco, so was ok after the first couple
minutes, so the trickle could have been shut down but I didn't think of
it at the time, I was still learning about Pb batteries. Nearly 50 years
ago. Now I'm a retired 86 yo fart, fooling around with cnc machinery,
openscad and 3d printers. Keeps me out of the bars dontcha know. :)

But as long as it holds up long enough to get my 20kw standby running,
about 4 or 5 seconds, I'm a happy camper.

Take care Roger.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis