[Nut-upsuser] permanently setting "battery.charge.low" on APC Back-UPS RS 550G

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 04:05:22 BST 2021

On Jun 29, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Roger Price wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, Ralf Fassel via Nut-upsuser wrote:
>
>> OS Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
>> Network UPS Tools 2.7.4 (Debian Package nut-client 2.7.4-11ubuntu4)
>>
>> device.mfr: American Power Conversion
>> device.model: Back-UPS RS 550G
>>
>> driver.name: usbhid-ups
>
>> Is there a way to permanently set the battery.charge.low in the
>> device?  Or in some config file (which)?
>
> Have a look at man ups.conf which has the example
>
>   override.battery.charge.low = 30

Again, override.* is only part of the story for changing the threshold that NUT and/or the UPS uses for LB detection:

https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2021-February/012294.html

TL;DR: override does not change anything on the UPS - it only changes what upsd reports. You would need to use something like "ignorelb" in addition.

> I don't know if this works for a Back-UPS RS 550G

ignorelb should work for any UPS, though you can only effectively set it higher than the UPS default.