[Nut-upsuser] My Back-UPS RS 1000 went haywire, any ideas?

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 16:43:35 BST 2023

Is the battery old? PbAc ones usually last for 2-3 years and then degrade.
Should be a field-replaceable part.

Some 20 years ago I had an APC BackUPS become a glorified power strip every
few years, so when the wall power disappeared - load went down immediately.
It was also beeping about battery replacement (but in the closet, was not
often noticed quickly). This is also a way for you to check if the
situation is something like that - pull the cable and see if it holds up
for any non-trivial time ;)

Otherwise, maybe electronics went bad over time (dried capacitors etc.) so
the controller and its sensors are in fact going haywire. This might also
be replaceable, if you're good with soldering (or can find/hire someone who
is) or if warranty repair is still an option.

Finally, the UPS might partake in self-calibration, where it deliberately
discharges itself to check how long the battery holds up your load (maybe
the charge-level cycle also lets it keep the internal chemistry healthier).
Usually it powers itself back up from mains in the nick of time before it
would otherwise shutdown, if it guessed the timing correctly (e.g. battery
did not age too poorly since last test, and the load did not change too
much).

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov