[Nut-upsuser] My Back-UPS RS 1000 went haywire, any ideas?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat Oct 28 17:53:16 BST 2023

Good advice from Jim K,

I wonder if Gennadiy's input power plugs & sockets or cable or trip fuse
have got loose, dirty, high resistance ?

Doesnt seem a battery problem, but always worth checking:
One can measure a battery's internal resistance by disconnecting, &
connecting across a car headlamp bulb(s in parallel)  (old incandescent
hungry bulbs, not lower power modern LED)

(If using bulbs in parallel, be careful not to exceed a battery's
max discharge for long else they will heat, plates mught buckle ?)

V (diff. between open circuit & on load ) / I (current into bulbs)
= Resistance (bat internal [+ any lead up to voltage measuring point])

eg
 bad  bat: ( 13 - 11 ) / 4 amp = 0.5 ohm
 good bat: ( 12.6 - 12 ) / 4 amp = 0.15 ohm

Cars have combined bulbs for dipped & main beam with 3 spade
terminals, normaly only one filament blows & car owners throw away
bulb with one good filament. For decades I've told friends: save
`dead' bulbs, those `dead' bulbs will be ever more popular as test
loads, as people start to want to also test solar cells & their
bats too, as well as for UPS.

PS I hope Gennadiy & Jim on list, as I dropped their cc @gmail,
'cos I don't want bounces from monopoly ad. co. google forcing mail
`standards'.

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey.  Arm Ukraine.  Contraception V Global Heating.
Gmail & Googlemail Fail http://berklix.org/jhs/mail/#bad