[Piuparts-devel] develop merged into piatti

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Tue May 7 19:36:13 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-07 18:06, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just merged develop merged into piatti and made the code run there. It
> successfully created a jessie base tarball (despite "706788 [w|  |☺]
> [debootstrap] please add support for jessie" by using testing, not jessie :)
> and is now testing packages... let's see how piuparts-report will run tonight.

jessie/testing tarball has a ttl of 1 week, so get a newer debootstrap
on piatti or make the config permanent (while it is running on squeeze).

> Looking at distro.conf (and instances/piuparts.conf) I noticed that we doesn't
> seem to use security updates while testing squeeze and wheezy - but do use
> them for their backports counterparts. Really?

In my setup I do run stable, stable/updates, stable-updates,
stable-proposed-updates, stable-backports separately, so they get tested.
We just can't easily merge them into one virtual distribution.

For squeeze-backports I found dependencies that required squeeze/updates
to be enabled. Maily some backported perl module depending on a
security-fixed perl.

<brainstorming>

But having a virtual distribution with several partial ones merged into
one may be useful, too, and I'd like to have something running for
wheezy-r1 ...

There are two separate things to consider:
* getting a Packages file to select the candidates
* putting a proper set of full and partial distributions into
  sources.list to install/upgrade the candidate.

The second can be done easily by setting up something like
  [wheezy-next]
  uri = None
  depends wheezy wheezy/updates wheezy-updates wheezy-proposed-udates
in distros.conf

The first could be done by making the distro= key in piuparts.conf
multivalued. (Hmm, that way I could merge contrib+non-free into confree
and kill 1/3 of the distributions I currently have.)

For squeeze2wheezy-next (which is much more interesting than plain
wheezy-next), the candidate packages are *all* packages in squeeze, but
the distupgrade target is
wheezy+wheezy/updates+wheezy-updates+wheezy-proposed-updates. While the
target can be built easily in distros.conf, we also need the package
versions in wheezy-next (and that would usually be the maximum version
in all subsets).

Hmm, that does not work, distro= is used for the start, and that is not
merged ...

</brainstorming>