[Python-apps-team] [rabbitvcs-devel] A new release in the next 2-4 weeks?

Arthur de Jong adejong at debian.org
Mon Sep 24 17:46:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 15:30 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Out of curiosity, how do our releases flow into distributions like
> debian/ubuntu?
>
> https://launchpad.net/rabbitvcs/ seems a bit out of date, but I can
> see Arthur doing a fair bit of work on debian releases - even if they
> are lagging a touch behind our current releases.

Hi, I've been doing the last few updates of RabbitVCS in Debian (though
I don't use it myself much so I'm probably not the best candidate for
it) and I can probably also upload 0.15.2 once it is released. These
releases automatically end up in Ubuntu.

Debian currently has 0.15.0.5 and a few patches from 0.15.1 for
Subversion 1.7 support fixes for the Gedit 3 plugin. This is the version
that is expected to be released with wheezy (the upcoming stable
release). Since wheezy is frozen now I don't expect to be able to
include a new upstream version.

You may want to check out the Debian packaging here:
  http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/python-apps/packages/rabbitvcs/trunk/
or:
  svn://svn.debian.org/svn/python-apps/packages/rabbitvcs/trunk/
It has some updates to how the package is built, to the copyright file
and a few other small bits also that might also be good for other
distributions.

I can probably upload a new version to unstable though but I'll have to
check if uploading to unstable isn't too disruptive for the release.

I have a few questions though:

Which changes went into 0.15.1 (relative to 0.15.0.5), I couldn't find a
list of changes or release notes?

What is the status of the Mercurial support? The package descriptions
only mention Subversion and Git.

The code seems (from visual inspection of the source) to work correctly
when the VCS back-end bindings aren't available. This could mean that
mercurial could be a recommends instead of a depends.

Could you indicate which of the bugs in Debian:
  http://bugs.debian.org/src:rabbitvcs
and Ubuntu:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rabbitvcs
should be fixed with the upcoming 0.15.2 (or .1)?

Thanks,

--
-- arthur - adejong at debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --