[Raspbian-devel] Building the Debian XBMC package on Raspbian

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Mon Sep 10 19:27:01 UTC 2012

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> However, I'm looking into making as few changes as possible to the
> official Debian package, to hopefully get the changes accepted by the
> Debian Maintainer, so that the next package will recompile on Raspbian
> without changes, even if not perfectly optimized.
IMO There is no point in this until/unless someone puts together a
system that
allows use of the videocore for decoding without creating either a build
dependencya hard dependency or a hard runtime dependency on the videocore
libraries. Afaict on CPUs as weak as the arm11 software decoding of video
is basically a nonstarter and a media center without usable video decode
doesn't seem much use to me.

And if an xbmc package does have a hard dependency on the videocore
libraries then it should have a new package name to distinguish it from
the generic debian package.