[Raspbian-devel] Audio

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Thu Aug 27 20:04:34 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 20:50, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I just assumed that the headphone-style jack next to the
> HDMI output was for audio. I plugged a pair of amplified computer
> speakers in to the jack and powered up the Pi. To my surprise,
> composit video seems to be there. Is this jack meant to be
> selectable  between audio output and composite video?
>
> 	This is not a big problem right now as I am just
> experimenting with the Pi and was going to feed a .wav file
> through it to see what the audio sounded like. Right now, it's
> probably analog NTSC video at 60 fields per second. It has
> limited appeal unless one is in to really electronic music.

Assuming we are talking about a B+/A+/2B the jack is a four pole jack
with audio on tip and first ring, ground on second ring and composite
video on the sleeve.

Plugging in a standard audio plug is supposed to work but there may be
breakthrough issues if the contact is poor.

Also IIRC if your screen supports (or claims to support) HDMI audio then
the Pi will use that rather than the onboard analog audio by default.