[Raspbian-devel] Confusion and decay around the serial UART - need help

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Wed Oct 26 13:21:37 UTC 2016

On dinsdag 25 oktober 2016 19:45:36 CEST Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I'm actually quite prepared to believe that enable_uart=1 might be
> part of a fix, but apparently some other magic needs to be done as
> well

This specific post and the thread in general may be of help:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1041713#p1041713
It looks like you also need to add "core_freq=250" to config.txt
See also http://spellfoundry.com/2016/05/29/configuring-gpio-serial-port-raspbian-jessie-including-pi-3/

I know that you've linked http://ava.upuaut.net/?p=726 in your recipe, but it
has been updated in May 2016 to work with the 2016-05-10 Raspbian Jessie Lite
image. I wouldn't be surprised if you're already aware of it, but I want to
mention it in case the article or comments would give you hints/clues you
weren't aware of before.

The adafruit page simply states that it doesn't work on the RPi3:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps-hat-for-raspberry-pi

So that likely leaves you with 1 option, get directly in touch with the RPF
kernel devs by checking https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues if there
are relevant issues (adding 'ntp' to the query results in 3 matches) and
otherwise open a new issue.

I thought about getting such a setup myself as it seemed kind of fun, but
€70-80 excluding a RPi is a bit much for sth I don't need (afaik). Sorry.

> I don't know what that is because *nothing is documented*.

This is indeed highly frustrating as the RPF seems to change things at will
and at a whim and doesn't document it in a standard way, if at all.
It usually involves tracking the right forum sections and just stumbling upon
things which are or will be relevant for you sometime in the future and also
tracking their various git repos and organizations for changes and issues.
Not really workable if that isn't your full-time job ...