[sane-devel] [janitorial] Feature freeze for 1.0.29 and call for translation updates

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Jan 15 13:03:06 GMT 2020

Hi Ulf,

I see you have started going through *all* the messages, correcting even
the ones that were not marked fuzzy or untranslated.  I'm not sure about
merging this into release/1.0.29 unless it is completed.  You mentioned
15% done in the commit message and that you spend six hours on it in a
mail to the list.  At that pace, there is probably still some 30 hours
of work left :-o

Perhaps it's better to just fix up the few fuzzies and untranslated ones
and include that in release/1.0.29 and leave your full-blown revision
for the one after 1.0.29?  I don't know what's best and am just thinking
out loud.  Suggestions welcome.

More follows inline.

Ulf Zibis writes:

> Hi.
>
> Am 13.01.20 um 19:58 schrieb Ralph Little:
>> Hi Ulf,
>>
>> All appreciated.
>> Yes! Partially updated translations are worthwhile having, in my opinion.
>> At the very least, it would reduce the work of the next person to
>> tackle it.
>> Make sure that it is clear that the update is partial.
>
> Here it is, see attachment.

Thanks, I've put it on a "german-translation-revision" branch and made
it clear that it's partial (via a rewrite of your commit message, hope
you don't mind).

# I had no idea though what "line 852" referred to.

> This update is partial. Please review and note the po-comments in it (in
> German for German reviewers).

Not sure if these will survive the gettext tools.  There is a way to
include translator oriented explanatory comments but these should be
added in a special format in the source code files.

# Just checked, looks like they survive at least a `make dist` which
# updates the po/*.po files.

> Regarding the formatting of the original:
> It turned out, that only 2 lines were not line wrapped correctly to 75
> chars. The cause were illegal chars for spaces ( "C2 A0" instead "20").
> So I directly file the translation update.

C2A0 is the UTF-8 encoding of U+00A0, the NO-BREAK SPACE.  I agree that
it should not be used in the German translation for

  #: backend/test.c:763
  #, no-c-format
  msgid ""
  "(3/6) Bool test option that has hard select (and advanced) capabilities. "
  "That means the option can't be set by the frontend but by the user (e.g. "
  "by pressing a button at the device) and can't be read by the frontend."

I also see that you removed the space between z. and B. (the
abbreviation of "zum Beispiel", the German for e.g. :-) which is a good
thing.  That was the only place where a NO-BREAK SPACE actually might
have made sense.

# I had five years of secondary school German :-/
# I can still read most but anything else ... is a struggle at best.

Hope this helps,

P.S.: Enjoy your holiday!