[sane-devel] [janitorial] Next release and "packing my bags"

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 07:21:00 GMT 2020

On 11/14/20 12:31 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Next, "packing my bags".
>
> On 2015-09-11, I appointed[2] myself SANE Project Janitor.  That was 5
> years, 2 months and 3 days ago.  Since our 1.0.31 release, I have been
> thinking a fair bit about my involvement in the SANE Project and how it
> is keeping me from dedicating time to other things I'd like to pursue.
> I've finally made up my mind and will be leaving the project after the
> next release.
Thank you for all your work on SANE project! It's sad seeing you
leaving, but I understand.

> # Probably on 2021-02-16 as that is 5 years, 5 months and 5 days after I
> # appointed myself.  I have something with "special" numbers and on top
> # of that five is pronounced "go" in Japanese, so it's "go, go, go" ;-)
>
> If anyone is willing to step up as a next janitor of sorts or even just
> as a kind of "release manager", I'll be happy to help out with getting
> that person up to speed on things, insofar necessary.  If no-one steps
> up, I guess it'll be up to the current project members to sort things
> out amongst themselves.

In my opinion it would be the best if there will be JANITORING.md readme
file, which will cover what needs to be done as a SANE project janitor
for specific SANE projects and how to do it e.g. how to maintain the
website, how to set/fix CI, how to make a release etc.

Basically all things you did/encountered in the past written down in a
file - would it be possible for you to create such a file?

With this way, even if no one can slip into janitor's shoes right now,
there will be a check list/manual what to do if such person appears, or
if backend's maintainers/other people rotates as a janitor between releases.

Have a nice day,

Zdenek

--
Zdenek Dohnal