[Showme-devel] Julia for ARM

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Sep 2 11:14:18 UTC 2015

Quoting Graham Inggs (2015-09-02 11:50:43)
> I've been playing with building Julia [1] for ARM.
> I could not build the current version in Debian (0.3.10-1) nor version
> 0.3.11 released on July 27.
>
> Upstream have been actively working on ARM support [2], and building
> git master as of 2015-09-01 worked fine.  I briefly tried updating the
> Debian packaging to work with git master, but found PCRE2 [3] is not
> yet packaged.

Great work!

Please file a bugreport against julia package, to establish a public
dialogue with the package maintainers about our needs and your findings.

If source package pcre3¹ is unusable (considering also if patching Julia
to fit might be sensible) - then please file a bugreport against
psudo-package wnpp (work needed pending progress) of type ITP or RFP
(depending on whether you intend to package it yourself or request for
others to package it.

Then, when filed and you get acknowledgement mail with bugnumber, add a
usertag so that we can track the bugs relevant to our project.  I have
no experience with actually juggling with usertags, but seems it is well
documented at https://wiki.debian.org/bugs.debian.org/usertags

NB! It seems that Julia is only an optional component of Beaker.  If
equally fine for you to work on then getting Beaker dependencies for R
apackaged for Debian, and figuring out why loading the R module still
fails even if seemingly all dependencies are satisfied, might make
better sense to work on first.  But getting Julia in shape is sure good
too.

 - Jonas

¹ https://packages.qa.debian.org/pcre3