[Showme-devel] Julia for ARM

Graham Inggs ginggs at debian.org
Wed Sep 2 11:44:57 UTC 2015

On 2 September 2015 at 13:14, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Please file a bugreport against julia package, to establish a public
> dialogue with the package maintainers about our needs and your findings.

Do you mean a wishlist bug requesting an ARM build?

> If source package pcre3¹ is unusable (considering also if patching Julia
> to fit might be sensible)

Unfortunately, pcre3 is not suitable.  It is the 3rd ABI of PCRE, and
PCRE2 is actually newer and has a different API.
It may be possible to patch Julia by reverting the commit where the
upgrade from PCRE to PCRE2 happened [1].

> - then please file a bugreport against
> psudo-package wnpp (work needed pending progress) of type ITP or RFP
> (depending on whether you intend to package it yourself or request for
> others to package it.

Any suggestions as to what the source package for PCRE2 should be
named, given that we had pcre2, which was the 2nd ABI of PCRE, in
Debian a long time ago?

> NB! It seems that Julia is only an optional component of Beaker.  If
> equally fine for you to work on then getting Beaker dependencies for R
> apackaged for Debian, and figuring out why loading the R module still
> fails even if seemingly all dependencies are satisfied, might make
> better sense to work on first.  But getting Julia in shape is sure good
> too.

Noted.  Julia was a nice place for me to start as I personally know
people at UCT who are using it who could assist with testing.  I have
no experience with R.

[1] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/commit/afa14048a5551fec9ee79f9472a16fb10e260b56