[Showme-devel] Julia for ARM

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Sep 2 13:40:13 UTC 2015

Quoting Graham Inggs (2015-09-02 13:44:57)
> On 2 September 2015 at 13:14, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Please file a bugreport against julia package, to establish a public
>> dialogue with the package maintainers about our needs and your findings.
>
> Do you mean a wishlist bug requesting an ARM build?

Yes.  Or perhaps rather an important bug requesting build on any arch:
It is wrong¹, I believe, for a package to suppress build on uncommon
architectures without concrete reasons (e.g. ipossible without ALSA
which is inherently - the "L" in the name - Linux-only).

Even packages that constantly fail their testsuite on some archs should
still continue to do so: Maintainers of build daemons may choose to
blacklist a package to save ressources.

>> If source package pcre3¹ is unusable (considering also if patching
>> Julia to fit might be sensible)
>
> Unfortunately, pcre3 is not suitable.  It is the 3rd ABI of PCRE, and
> PCRE2 is actually newer and has a different API.

Ah, I understand.

> It may be possible to patch Julia by reverting the commit where the
> upgrade from PCRE to PCRE2 happened [1].

Yeah, interesting that you try that route to get Julia in working shape
fast - until PCRE2 is packaged and become reliable.

>> - then please file a bugreport against psudo-package wnpp (work
>> needed pending progress) of type ITP or RFP (depending on whether you
>> intend to package it yourself or request for others to package it.
>
> Any suggestions as to what the source package for PCRE2 should be
> named, given that we had pcre2, which was the 2nd ABI of PCRE, in
> Debian a long time ago?

Source package (and name for bugreport): pcre2

Binary packages: libpcre2-6 and libpcre2-6-dev (replace "6" with API)

>> NB! It seems that Julia is only an optional component of Beaker.  If
>> equally fine for you to work on then getting Beaker dependencies for
>> R apackaged for Debian, and figuring out why loading the R module
>> still fails even if seemingly all dependencies are satisfied, might
>> make better sense to work on first.  But getting Julia in shape is
>> sure good too.
>
> Noted.  Julia was a nice place for me to start as I personally know
> people at UCT who are using it who could assist with testing.  I have
> no experience with R.

Ah, makes good snse, then :-)

 - Jonas

¹ Arguably an instance of "we won't hide problems" that all Debian
members have signed into.