[Soc-coordination] Debian's GSoC, applications received

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Sat Apr 9 23:16:35 UTC 2011

Le Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 07:38:08PM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> Le samedi 09 avril 2011 à 23:24 +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> > Le Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 02:30:45PM +0200, Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> > >
> > > Once we have hear from all the mentors, then we should rank the proposals
> > > in the order we want to be accepted depending on how many slots
> > > we get. We have asked for 10 slots to Google (still can be changed)
> > > and right now we have 13 project with at least one student submission.
>
> > In particular, out of the 13 projects, 5 show no interaction at all between the
> > students and the mentor in the Google SoC “Melange” web interface.  Perhaps the
> > discussion took place on IRC or elsewhere, but if not, are you sure that these
> > applications have any potential ?
> Don't forget that some interactions can be done privately without any
> thing showing on melange ...

That solves a big misunderstanding.

When I participated to the SoC in 2008 and 2009, the Melange interface was the
primary place of discussion, where the potential mentors collectively evaluated
the students and their proposals.  I do not see how anybody except the admins
can do that task if students and mentors contact each other in private.

If you have time, pease remove me from Debian's mentor list on Melange.  I
think that in the end it is the best way I can help you.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,