[Soc-coordination] Debian's GSoC, applications received

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Apr 10 01:17:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 07:38:08PM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Don't forget that some interactions can be done privately without any
> thing showing on melange ...

Open discussion should count for far more than closed discussion (and
thankfully, almost certainly will, since only those in on the closed
discussion can take it into account when ranking).  We're looking to
gain long-term contributors from this, and we don't want to start off
giving them the idea that discussing development privately is the right
approach.

Regarding the "should we rank proposals or project ideas" issue -
perhaps the simplest approach is that the mentors for the project ideas
with more than one proposal pick which proposal they prefer *first*
(or if they are undecided, pick the N they prefer).  Then vote, ignoring
the duplicate proposals which weren't picked.

Cheers,
    Olly