[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] tuxtyping - stats are lost and I would like to keep them 20180907

Jeff Towers jefftowers at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 7 12:53:42 BST 2018

Hi Tuxtyping Folks,
I looked this summer for a typing program for my son. As I'd set up a linux system to teach all aspects of programming, I was interested in learning to type as a precursor to learning to program. Tuxtype was the first and obvious choice.
I noticed that it gathers wonderful statistics in the lessons where we started, but when you type the last character of the lesson: Shazam! They disappear and you'll never find them.
I checked out several alternative programs (google), and though they had features I liked, it seems that in 2018 this where we are, I could see no reason that a different program would serve me better.
So I would like to tinker with the software so that I can keep the stats. A useful first step would be to simply print them out on the console, like:lesson 1 <start timestamp> <endtimestamp> statDescrTxt:number statDescrTxt:number
(a single long line, tab separated text fields).
This would allow redirection of stdout, like:
tuxtype --verbose >> mySonsRecord.txt
MY QUESTIONS:
1 Is this already done, did I miss something?
2 Any suggestions on how I could tweak the code locally to do this?
3 If there is interest at your end, how would I feed my result back to the next release version?
I am looking at: https://github.com/tux4kids/tuxtype
I have a lot of (C,C++) programming experience, but not in linux development. I assume it is using git, and I can look into that for getting a current version. I use git on my local projects so have a basic knowledge.
Any feedback appreciated, Jeff Towers