[3dprinter-general] 3D-printer packaging

Andrea Colangelo warp10 at debian.org
Thu Jan 23 01:04:54 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Bas, thank you for writing this mail and starting up the discussion, I
really appreciate it.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:08:42AM +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> To record the state of this discussion, I started
> https://wiki.debian.org/3D-printer
> Please edit it with anything that should be there.

Great one!

> So about the packaging.  On the wiki I added an initial list of packages
> which we should maintain.  Some of them are already packaged; some by
> me, some by others.  If you know of other packages, please add them to
> the list.  Once we have our git repository organized, we should split
> this list in "things we maintain" (with links) and "things we should
> maintain".

+1

> Oh, by the way, I received a mail (too long ago) from the python-power
> maintainer that he wants to drop the package.  We should take it over.
> It's probably an easy package, so anyone who wants to get their hands
> dirty, please go ahead.  If you need a sponsor, just ask on the list and
> I (or someone else?) will help.

Oh, cool. I'll give a look at it tomorrow, I like python stuff.

> As for the maintainer and uploader fields in the packages:
> The Maintainer field should be set to this list:
> 3-D printer team <3dprinter-general at lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Policy says:
> > if the Maintainer control field names a group of people and a shared
> > email address, the Uploaders field must be present and must contain at
> > least one human with their personal email address.
>
> This is obviously the case for us.  So when to add yourself to the
> Uploaders field of a package?  If you intend to care for it.  If you're
> just doing an upload to fix a bug and don't want to worry about the
> package any further, just mark it as a Team Upload in the changelog
> instead.

Sounds reasonable, and along the same lines as what other teams already do.
+1.

> How do we organize our repository?  I have limited experience with
> git-buildpackage, and I don't like it.  It's too hard to set up, and
> that scares potential contributers away.  So either we write a very
> short and simple list of instructions on the wiki, or we don't use it.
> Did I mention you should say so if you disagree with me? ;-)

Heh. :)

Well, actually I disagree on this point. All of my packages are on
collab-maint and uses git with gbp. I agree with you that it might be a
little scaring at first, but once you get into it, it unleashes some
real power. For example, --pristine-tar eases the orig.tar.gz management,
and having the upstream branch for upstream releases and the master
branch with packaging allows to keep things pretty clean, especially
when team-working on a pkg.

Hence, I wholeheartedly vote for the other option "write very short and simple
list of instructions", It shouldn't be neither difficult nor long,
especially if we steal^W borrow the content of other git-friendly
teams.

Ciao,
Andrea.

--