[3dprinter-general] 3D-printer packaging

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 08:37:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-23 at 00:08:42 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> We just got a new request from Elena to join.  Welcome to the team. :-)

thanks!

> To record the state of this discussion, I started
> https://wiki.debian.org/3D-printer
> Please edit it with anything that should be there.

> So about the packaging.  On the wiki I added an initial list of packages
> which we should maintain.  Some of them are already packaged; some by
> me, some by others.  If you know of other packages, please add them to
> the list.  Once we have our git repository organized, we should split
> this list in "things we maintain" (with links) and "things we should
> maintain".

I've added two packages, one of which has an ITP by someone not in the
team, so I'm going to suggest again that he joins it (expecially
now that there is some traffic).

Andrea has also written a script to keep track of the status
of some packages *including ITPs* and we were planning to use it
also with a list of 3D printing related packages, expecially since
their status seemed to be mostly as ITPs (and thus not visible
e.g. in the maintainer dashboard)

> How do we organize our repository?  I have limited experience with
> git-buildpackage, and I don't like it.  It's too hard to set up, and
> that scares potential contributers away.  So either we write a very
> short and simple list of instructions on the wiki, or we don't use it.
> Did I mention you should say so if you disagree with me? ;-)

as somebody who was almost scared away by the use of svn in the
python-(module|apps) team... :)

This link was suggested on the python teams list a few days ago
as an example of good documentation for a team workflow based
on git-buildpackage:

http://openstack.alioth.debian.org/

> My suggestion for the repository is to use a directory for each package,
> which has the name of that package,

my understanding is that git-buildpackage requires one repository
for package; mr can be used to manage multiple repositories
with a single command. (I'm still stuck using svn-bp in the
above mentioned teams, and I've only tried gbp once)

> When packaging a new upstream version, the tree should be moved to the
> new version number.  If the old version need to stay around for updates
> to stable or whatever reason, it can be copied instead.

No need for this in git, where branches for stable mainteneance
can be created out of every commit (expecially tagged ones)

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''