[3dprinter-general] Request to Join Project 3-D Printer packages from michele orlandi (mikelo-guest)

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 12:10:27 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-28 at 12:22:14 +0100, Michele Orlandi wrote:
> update: I did some research and I saw from here.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/3D-printer
>
> these involve various 3d printing opensource SW, I guess you are
> packaging them now (?).

Yes, either the team is working on packaging them, or somebody
started packaging them before the team was born.

> Are these consumer printers?

if by "consumer" you mean "affordable for a consumer", yes, they
work with rep-rap family printers and other commonly available
similar printers, which are priced from 500 EUR or so (in kit).

If by "consumer" you mean "prepackaged in a plastic case",
I believe that there is some model like that, but they tend to
be among the less freedom-respecting ones, so I've never looked
at them.

> These SW include the drivers?

At least rep-rap family printers don't really require a driver,
to the OS they look like an usb serial device (like an Arduino does);
what they need is a controller software that is able to send
commands via the serial interface.

In the above list cura, pronterface, Repetier-Hosti, repsnapper and
octoprint are such controller software, and allow at least to load a
gcode file to send it to the printer, as well as giving it basic commands.

> I noticed that some packages like cura and slic3r are not even in the
> experimental list,

e.g. cura is almost ready, but the package needs removal of some
nonfree files; I don't know the status for slic3r. We are working
on a page with status informations for all of the packages, but
the team is still young, and it's not ready yet.

> when are u planning to go live?

When we're ready :)

Actually, the team is already live, and working on the packages,
which will be uploaded one by one as soon as they are ready.

> do u need help packaging them?

I guess that you should browse the ITPs for various packages
and look in the discussion if there is need for something,
and/or follow this mailing list.

Somebody else may have more precise answers on something specific.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''