[3dprinter-general] Review of Cura 3.1.0

Gregor Riepl onitake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 07:58:07 UTC 2018

> I'll see what I can do. :)  Are there hard inter-dependencies, or can I
> do one upload at the time without breaking anything?  It is easier for
> me to find time to review single packages. :)

I bumped all the dependency versions to avoid issues, so there is a build
dependency chain to follow. But I don't know if this will negatively impact
package building if they are all uploaded at once.

The dep chains are as follows:
cura-engine -> libarcus-dev -> libarcus3
cura -> uranium-tools, python3-uranium -> python3-arcus -> libarcus3

The rest are only runtime dependencies.

>> By the way:
>> https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2810#issuecomment-359250182
>>> *ChrisTerBeke*
>>> 3.2 will have a button that takes you to the preferences window where
>>> you can disable it.
>>
>> I think the message box and the button should be enough to address the
>> SliceInfo (telemetry) plugin issue. What do you think?
>
> As long as the default is to not call home, I believe the privacy issue
> is solved.  Asking users up front if they want the program to call home
> is with with me, as long as those not reading the popup and just clock
> to get rid of it are not sending information by mistake.

Hmm... I don't think UltiMaker changed that.
I can ask them about it, but it looks like we need to patch this ourselves.
It would be good to refer them to an official policy instead of a personal
opinion, to give it more weight.

Since changing the logic would require changing the text as well, we're going
to need translations. Do you know if there is someone in the Debian project I
could ask about that?

Cura's supported languages are:
de_DE  es_ES  fi_FI  fr_FR  it_IT  ja_JP  ko_KR  nl_NL  pl_PL  pt_BR  ru_RU
tr_TR  zh_CN  zh_TW