[3dprinter-general] Cura 5.0~beta

Gregor Riepl onitake at gmail.com
Sat May 14 22:40:02 BST 2022

Hi Sebastian,

> Hi there folks, I've started packaging Cura 5.0~beta by extending the
> various gbp repos on salsa.  I'm posting here to seek feedback and to
> offer my work-in-progress, so we can avoid duplication of effort.

I'm not aware of anything, so go ahead and thank you for the effort.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if we should push a beta version to
unstable. Working on packaging is definitely appreciated, but I think we
should for the final release.

Alternatively, the beta version could be pushed to experimental.

> However I ran into trouble with libsavitar.  Upstream uses SIP 6.5 to
> build the python bindings, but unstable has moved on to SIP 6.6, which
> replaced the parser, and the new parser crashes on libsavitar's sip files:

> The sip 6.5 packages in testing have the old parser, and that builds the
> new libsavitar without any problems.

You could mark the bug as RC-critical, because it cause FTBFS issues in
other packages (i.e. libsavitar).

IMHO this would make SIP 6.6 not fit for release, and it should probably
even be removed from unstable to avoid causing havoc. But, if your patch
is good enough to make libsavitar build again, I think it should be
released ASAP.

I'd recommend to wait for a response to your bug report, and if there's
no reaction, you should raise the severity to "serious". I can see that
there is at least another FTBFS bug in SIP 6.6, and that one is already
marked as "serious":

> https://salsa.debian.org/seb_kuzminsky-guest/libsavitar
>
> Next I'm moving on to libarcus, uranium, cura-engine, pynest2d, and the
> cura gui.

Thanks!
I can test your MRs a try and merge them when they are ready.