[3dprinter-general] slic3r REMOVED from testing

Gregor Riepl onitake at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 22:05:27 BST 2023

> Well, PrusaSlicer is a fork from Slic3r. Nowadays it is way ahead of
> Slic3r feature-wise. Configuration-wise I don't think they save same
> stuff at same locations any more. So I don't think Prusa's can be a
> direct replacement.

Is there something like a guide that highlights the differences and
makes a transition a bit easier?

I found this[1], but it only shows differences in CLI options.

> I've personally been using PrusaSlicer over Slic3r since many years now
> but still popcon shows way more installs of old Slic3r [1] than
> PrusaSlicer [2]. So the package is not dead? Or users haven't made that
> transition yet?

Maybe it's a matter of convenience, or they haven't heard that slic3r is
practically dead upstream.

What worries me is that the CVE in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1034848 also affects
stable, oldstable and oldoldstable. So, a fix is quite urgently needed.
Unfortunately, the reporter didn't include the affected versions, or we
might have ended up with slic3r gone from bookworm as well. I'm going to
add the versions now.

However, this won't fix the issue. I don't feel confident enough to fix
it, because I don't know the codebase. Someone with more familiarity
should look at it urgently.

[1] https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/wiki/Command-Line-Interface