[Alioth-staff-replacement] Did you consider Phabricator ?

Chad Little chad at phacility.com
Sat Jun 10 16:14:53 UTC 2017

You can disable any applications you don’t need in Phabricator (like bug
tracking) and they disappear from the UI.

On June 10, 2017 at 9:06:24 AM, Paolo Greppi (paolo.greppi at libpf.com) wrote:

I know there has been discussion elsewhere about candidates for replacing
the alioth.debian.org software development collaboration tools, but I did
not find any mention to Phabricator.

Pros:
- is and will **always** be fully Open Source
- supports git, hg, & svn
- some components are already in Debian:
https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/phabricator
- it is used by several Open Source projects:
- for git hosting & code reviews by Haskell https://phabricator.haskell.org/
- for git hosting, bugs, project management and code reviews by Blender
https://developer.blender.org/
- for git hosting & code reviews by LLVM https://reviews.llvm.org/
- for git hosting, bugs, project management and code reviews by Fedora
https://phab.qa.fedoraproject.org/
- for git hosting, bugs and project management by Wikimedia Foundation
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/
- for git hosting and bugs by GnuPG https://dev.gnupg.org/
- for these they offer full, free support

Cons:
- it has a bug tracking component we obviously don't need
- the Debian package is old and incomplete
- they prefer a rolling release strategy over X.Y.Z releases so most people
install from source anyway, see https://secure.phabricator.com/T4200
- the code review process is opinionated and different from github's PR,
but they "expect to tackle [it] this year", see
https://secure.phabricator.com/T5000

Paolo