[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth needs your help

Alexander Wirt formorer at debian.org
Sun Jun 18 17:44:28 UTC 2017

Hi,

**This is a copy from my latest blog article, but I think markdown is
readable enough to take it as it is**

It may look that the decision for pagure as alioth replacement is already
finalized, but thats not really true. I got a lot of feedback and tips in the
last weeks, those made postpone my decision. Several alternative systems were
recommend to meb, here are a few examples:

* [gitalib](https://gitlab.org)
* [kallithea](http://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)
* [gogs](http://gogs.io)
* [gitblit](http://gitblit.com)

and probably several others. I won't be able to evaluate all of those systems
in advance of our [sprint](https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/Alioth).
Thats where you come in: if you are familiar with one of those systems or
want to get familiar with. Please join us on our
[mailinglist](https://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/alioth-staff-replacement)
and create a wiki page below <https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/GitNext> with a
review of your system.

What do we need to know?

* Featureset compared to current alioth
* Featureset compared to a popular system like github
* Some implementation designs
* Some information about scaling (expect something like 15.000 > 25.0000
repos)
* Support for other version control systems
* Advantages: why should we choose that system
* Disadvantes: why shouldn't we choose that system
* License
* Other interesting features
* Details about extensibility
* A really nice thing would be a working vagrant box / vagrantfile +
ansible/puppet to test things

If you want to start on such a review, please announce it on the mailinglist.

If you have questions, ask me on IRC, [Twitter](https://twitter.com/formorer)
or [mail](mailto:formorer at debian.org). Thanks for your help!

Alex