[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth needs your help

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Aug 18 21:24:35 UTC 2017

Joerg Jaspert <joerg at ganneff.de> writes:

>> One thing that was said during discussion, is that if someone wants to
>> maintain an alternative as <my-prefered-solution>.debian.net it is
>> possible, even welcomed, and it's not unheard of in Debian that a .d.net
>> service would end up being the .org one.
>>
>> The thing is, it needs to be someone that is willing to actually take
>> care of the service on the long run.
>
> Correct, my reply was just for this in context of us using it.

Just to be clear, the "us" here is the people setting up a replacement
git service at the weekend sprint going on now (is it not, Joerg?).

I would think that a parallel setup of e.g. gitea would be very welcome,
especially if it were able to demonstrate the advantages you're
suggesting _before_ we've gone too far down the road of committing to
using gitlab, since it would be better to find out that there is a
better choice sooner rather than later, if that is indeed the case.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. I wasn't actually present in the morning when gitlab was selected,
so perhaps there is some decisive advantage that gitlab was claimed to
have over gitea (and perhaps others that people might want to set up).

If that is the case, it might be worth that being made explicit so that
people don't end up wasting time on setting things up, only to be told
that gitlab's feature-X is the clincher that they cannot satisfy.