[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth needs your help

Michael Lustfield michael at lustfield.net
Fri Aug 18 23:00:23 UTC 2017

> >> From what we compared here, we are set on gitlab.
> >> More details on the why and how, and we keep it updated as much as we
> >> can, is on gobby.debian.org, in Sprints/AliothSuccessor2017/Minutes

I might be missing something, but the only real "why" that I see is the matrix
chart. Unfortunately, the matrix uses gogs which doesn't have some of the
features that gitea does--repo mirroring being the exciting one. I'm sorry that
I wasn't able to attend and took so long to get the previous message out. :(

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 23:24:35 +0200
Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:

> Joerg Jaspert <joerg at ganneff.de> writes:
>
> >> One thing that was said during discussion, is that if someone wants to
> >> maintain an alternative as <my-prefered-solution>.debian.net it is
> >> possible, even welcomed, and it's not unheard of in Debian that a .d.net
> >> service would end up being the .org one.
> [..]
>
> I would think that a parallel setup of e.g. gitea would be very welcome,
> especially if it were able to demonstrate the advantages you're
> suggesting _before_ we've gone too far down the road of committing to
> using gitlab, since it would be better to find out that there is a
> better choice sooner rather than later, if that is indeed the case.

If there's still value in having a gitea instance exist, I'd be more than happy
to manage something more permanent. This one was for a quick demo and testing
out some HA theories.

I'm reading up on debian.net stuff. I'll send an update when I have something
exciting to share! :)

> P.S. I wasn't actually present in the morning when gitlab was selected,
> so perhaps there is some decisive advantage that gitlab was claimed to
> have over gitea (and perhaps others that people might want to set up).
>
> If that is the case, it might be worth that being made explicit so that
> people don't end up wasting time on setting things up, only to be told
> that gitlab's feature-X is the clincher that they cannot satisfy.

^ +1

--
Michael Lustfield