[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth needs your help

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at debian.org
Sun Aug 20 11:47:16 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:55:55AM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
> One thing that came up with the gitlab setup is the creation of users,
> and differentiating DDs from guests somehow.  In Alioth we append -guest
> to non-DD accounts, to avoid polluting the namespace.
>
> With gitlab, it's currently not obvious how to make that happen, so it
> seems we'll need a bespoke front-end for allowing things like guest
> registration, and will then need to stop people from changing their
> account names from within gitlab.
>
> It occurs to me that we could make that front end such that it can
> register users in multiple git platforms, so that when they register
> they get the same account created in gitlab, gitea, and whatever else
> anyone sets up, so that we don't get any clashes between the
> alternatives.
>
> An alternative way of doing it would be for the registration process to
> check with all other platforms to see whether the account already
> exists, and if so that the associated email matches, in order to ensure
> that it can only be created if it is either a new account, or an
> existing account belonging to the same person.

I wonder: would it be so complex to have gitlab use sso.d.o for
authentication?  Consider that sso.d.o only provides with user
certificates, doesn't have any openid/oauth2/whatever provider.

sso.d.o could grow a registration feature for guest accounts (instead of
pulling them from alioth, I can't see that as something so different).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :